St.anne'sThe place, originally known as "Lawn View" and measuring 45 cents, belonged to Mr. George Lobo, a retired jailor.He gifted the place and his house to the Capuchins in May 1936, in memory of his deceased wife, Mrs. Annie Lobo. Hence the friary is named after St. Anne. Earlier the house was used as a centre for Franciscan gatherings. A hall was erected for this purpose in 1937, which served also as a chapel and eventually became the Portiuncula, dedicated to Our Lady of Angels. In 1941 the house of Mr. George Lobo was declared a hospice attached to St. Fidelis Friary, Farangipet. Some friars started staying here for the purpose of doing social work and other pastoral ministry in the town. A shrine of St. Anthony was constructed at the corner of the triangle during the same year.


Since Mr. George Lobo was still living in one of the rooms of his old house and the friars needed privacy, a temporary residence was constructed behind the shrine of St.Anthony in 1943. In 1950, after the death of Mr. George Lobo, the temporary residence was demolished and the old house of Mr. Lobo was re-modeled and the chapel was enlarged. For the purpose of promoting vocations to the Order, the Assisi House was started in 1955 in a small rented building. The compound, measuring about 2 acres, adjoining the friary and known as 'Grasmere', which belonged to Mr. P.C. Lobo, the brother of Mr. George Lobo, was acquired in 1960 and the Assisi House was shifted to its present premises.

The old house constructed by Mr. George Lobo at Lawn View and which had housed the friars for more than 25 years, having become inconvenient for habitation, was demolished in 1977 and on the same site the new friary was constructed and completed in 1979. The students ofPUCwere accommodated in the Friary from 1979 to 1983.

In 1983 the PUC students were shifted to the Assisi House which itself was rebuilt in the year 1967 to accommodate the increasing number of boys studying in Assisi House. From 1987 Assisi House looked after only capuchin candidates who did their PUC studies. In August 1999, Postulancy ofKGMwas shifted toAssisi House.

The friary has many initiatives to its credit. In early 1950's, under the leadership of Fr. Cyril Andrade the S.F.O. apostolate began in Mangalore. Later, under the leadership of Fr. Vincent Lobo, the S.F.O. ministry thrived in Mangalore diocese. In 1943 the Konkani Natak Sabha started by Fr. GeorgeAlbuquerque Pai S.J. was transferred to the Capuchins of St. Anne's Friary. Fr. Cyril Andrade became its president. By 1951, under the leadership of Fr. Philip Neri, a good Hall, named Don Bosco, was built and to-date the Capuchins direct the sociocultural activities of the K.N.S. Some years later, Fr. Vincent Lobo started the Konkani family monthly magazine, "Sevak" which saw its first issue in September 1959. He also started Assisi Press in 1970 as a landmark in the media apostolate of the Province.

The friars are now engaged in varied forms of apostolate: preaching, spiritual assistance to the S.F.O., promoting vocations, apostolate of the press and the stage.

 

FRATERNITIES AT A GLANCE

Br. Peter Cyprian D’Souza – Guardian
Br. Fredrick Rodrigues – Vicar
Br. Lawrence Prem D’Souza – Treasurer
Br. Francis Sunil D’Souza –In charge of Hostel & St. Padre Pio Shrine
Br. Prashanth Noronha – Vocation Promoter
Br. Maxim D'Silva – Manager of Assisi Press
Br. Salvadore D’Cunha – Assistant – Assisi Press
Br. Darel Priwon Fernandes – Editor of Sevak
Br. Manohar D'Souza - In Charge of OFS
Br. Henry Lobo
Br. Theophil Pereira
Br. Archie Lewis
Br. Bertrand D’Cunha
Br. Ben Britto
Br. Alpheus D’Souza  
Br. Rupert Barboza
Br. Felix D’Souza
Br. Devdass Dolphy Serrao  - Divine mercy Retreat Centre
Br. Darick D’Souza
Br. Arthur Menezes
Br. Vitus Prabhudas

Home | About | SitemapContact

Copyright ©2015 www.capuchinsmangalore.org. Powered by eCreators

Contact Us

 Prayer Request

9902331830, 9482446419, 9632139046

Capuchins Mangalore
ST. ANNE’S FRIARY
Jail Road, Kodialbail Post, Mangalore
Karnataka - 575 003, India

Email : [email protected]